Tuesday 29 November 2022

Are You Born Again or Just Religious?

In the news today, I happened to read the headline that according to the 2021 Census less than half of England and Wales now identify as Christian.

At first, I felt sad but then I realised that statistics like this don’t really mean a lot. If people identify as Christian just because they were born in a particular country, go to church, or have gone through a religious ritual, then of course the numbers of “Christians” will be falling as people lose interest in being associated with a particular religion.

It made me wonder what people mean when they apply the label in the first place. It’s often the first question I ask people in the street, “Are you a Christian?” A lot of people say that they are but then add, “I’m not really religious, though” or “I don’t go to church.” Some even say, “But I don’t believe in God” which seems a little strange.

Last week, I saw a lady looking at our open-air board which was carrying a Christian message. I asked her whether she was a Christian and she smiled and said, “Yes of course, I’m a Methodist.” “Great,” I said, “So you’ve trusted in Jesus for forgiveness of sin and are on your way to Heaven?” or words to this effect. The lady stared at me, then burst out laughing as if I had said something hilarious. The grin still plastered on her face, she quickly escaped before I could say anything else.

Another lady and her daughter had recently been bereaved of their husband/father. They said they were all Christians and began telling me what a great person the man had been. They went as far as to say that kingly robes would have been laid out for him as he met God because he had never done anything wrong in his life. I asked them if they were sure where they were going and left them with a “Peace with God” leaflet.

Today, a man returned the leaflet I had just given him. I asked him if he was already a Christian. He said, “Yes, I worked for an undertaker for decades, so I’ve seen more bodies and been in more churches than you have been in your life.” I’m not really sure of the relevance of this statement, but the man seemed to think he was right with God because of his church attendance even whilst working as an undertaker!

That’s three people, in the space of less than a week, who carried the Christian label but whose words betrayed a total misunderstanding of the Christian message. If slightly under half of the people living in England and Wales still call themselves Christians, there are likely many millions living under this misapprehension.

It’s such a common problem in Western nations, that it can be refreshing to meet real Christians.

Another man, last week, had approached our board which had a number of Bible verses on it. I asked if he was a Christian. He said that he was. I asked if he was sure he was going to Heaven. He said that he was. I asked him on what basis he was sure. He said, “Because Romans chapter 10 verse 9 says that if I confess Jesus as Lord and believe in my heart that God raised Him from the dead. I will be saved.” I was so astonished that I had to quickly check that the verse wasn’t already written on the board!

To be clear, religious rituals and/or identifying as a Christian don’t achieve anything by themselves. They will not provide forgiveness of sin, or make you right with God and, crucially, they will not save you. 

To become a Christian, The Bible says we must repent and believe that Jesus died on the cross for our sin. This involves humbling ourselves and accepting that we are sinners. Next, being sorry for our sin and willing to turn away from it (repentance). Then, belief in the heart that Jesus paid the price with his death on the cross, trusting Him for forgiveness and new life. Now, surrender to Him and make Him Lord of your life.

When a person becomes a Christian, they are born again. They are a new creation. The old has gone and they have been made new. Their life is transformed, and they are never the same again. They throw off their old habits and lifestyle (with God’s help) and live a new life following Jesus as Saviour and Lord. Not a perfect life, but a changed one.

This transformation is the only basis on which we can be sure we are saved and on our way to Heaven.




No comments:

Post a Comment