Thursday 2 January 2020

Top 10 Christian Books Read in 2019


It’s time for my Christian book recommendations for 2019. My Goodreads 2019 Challenge lists 77 books. I can't answer why it is exactly the same as last year, more by luck than judgement.

For those that missed them, you can also see my 2016, 2017 and 2018 selections.

I have now given up trying to cover a range of genres and sub-genres and accepted that I read a lot more biographies, especially by or about missionaries, than anything else. I prefer books with a clear Gospel message and Christian purpose in writing.

The majority of the books I recommend here are clean—no bad language or sexual content and limited graphic violence. Where there is slight deviation I have commented in my review so you should know what to expect. You can read my Goodreads reviews by clicking on the title link. The books appear in the order I read them in 2019.

1. Joni & Ken: An Untold Love Story- I was surprised that I enjoyed this book more than Joni's first book about her diving accident. I can just see so many circumstances where this book will be helpful for Christians in gaining perspective in the midst of difficult circumstances. 

2. Spiritual Depression- I was amused to re-read my review of this, apologies for the brevity. I liked how practical this book was despite it being written a while ago. Every Christian struggles with a lack of joy at some point. This book helps to refocus the mind and heart.

3. Ice and Fire- Another book on discouragement, which needs to be included as it's up to date and contains examples of men and women of God who can inspire us to persevere in the race. I read this after a long Summer of beach missions when the excitement and fellow evangelists had disappeared back to their local work. It helped combat the "post camp blues".

4. Our Witchdoctors are too Weak- This was really funny, at least I thought so. It's also pretty unique as modern missionary biographies tend to focus on the spiritual emotions of the author rather than the practical side of missionary life. This author examines missionary life from the perspective of the tribes people when Westerners appear in their midst. Granted, at times he takes it too far and borders on the ridiculous and you really have to share his sense of humour to get this book.

5. John Williams: Messenger of Peace- This is in the Christian Heroes: Then & Now series. They are written for teens and adults. This is worth reading just for the story that I've quoted in my review. Williams approaches what he thinks is an unevangelised island in Polynesia only to find the natives have already heard the Gospel via a chain of Chinese whispers that originated with him decades earlier!

6. The Doulos Story- This was a blast from the past. I read it originally whilst serving on the Logos Hope, a sister ship to Doulos. It is a good reminder of the ups and downs of life as a volunteer, in a Christian community, whilst serving in various foreign countries.

7. Abide- More of a booklet than a book. Explains why a daily quiet or devotional time is necessary for spiritual growth.

8. Troubled Journey: A Missionary Childhood in War-Torn China- I've included this for the unique perspective it offers. Children were often sent away from parents for years or sent home to their country of origin for schooling. This painfully honest account by well-known author Faith Cook reveals the lasting damage.

9. Missing, Believed Killed- Life for missionaries during the Simba rebellion in the Congo. Margaret Hayes relays the various atrocities without sensationalism and keeps trusting God throughout her ordeal.

10. On the Far Side of Liglig Mountain- I like this author who works as a missionary doctor in the mountains of Nepal. I included his first book, Don't Let the Goats Eat the Loquat Trees, in last year's list. I'm currently reading the final book of the trilogy. Hale simply tells stories from the field, many are about the remote hospital where he works. He doesn't hold back, revealing both the joys and sorrows and the small spiritual breakthroughs in a country where it is illegal to evangelise and to change faith from the national Hindu religion.

So, that's my list for 2019. Hopefully, you find something on it worth looking at in 2020. Happy reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment