Monday 5 December 2022

What to Expect if you Join an Open-Air Mission Team

I’ve recently returned from Lincoln Christmas Market (LCM) having served on an Open-Air Mission (OAM) team. I’ve written about the experience before here, but as that was in 2017, five years ago, I thought it would be good to bring things up to date. My friends find it amusing that although I've been on this mission four times now, I've never actually visited the market itself.

This time, I travelled with an enthusiastic new(ish) believer from my church who had been praying about getting more involved in open-air work. The main thing she had been told by multiple people was to make sure she brought sufficient clothing as LCM is usually freezing!

Arriving at TCM Baptist Church on Thursday in the late afternoon, we met the rest of the team who were all men, apart from two ladies cooking for us. There were some younger men this time though as the mission has taken on some new evangelists.

The eldest team member, in his early eighties, who sadly lost his wife fairly recently, arrived with two giant suitcases, a massive rucksack, a trolley and a carrier bag. People may laugh, but various items from his extensive luggage have come in handy over the years, or so I’m told.

We had dinner together, then a short team meeting before heading to Lincoln Evangelical Church for their weekly Bible study and prayer meeting. Then, the men bedded down in the church to endure each other’s snoring, whilst the two of us headed to a church member’s house for comparative luxury, at least that’s how the men saw it judging by some comments the following day.

Breakfast the next day, then another team meeting with a Bible study and prayer time. The book table literature was explained to us including some items in foreign languages.

Two of the men volunteered to head to the market stalls with the OAM year planners. The oldest man kept volunteering but pointed out that he would need to get the bus to get there. The team leader looked a tad concerned that this dear man might not make it back again if he did go up the hill and thankfully there were enough volunteers that this unnecessary risk wasn’t necessary.

A slight debate about why the market traders want the calendars which are essentially a black and white grid with a small Bible verse on the bottom, and the OAM logo at the top. No pictures or colour. A few admitted they were also baffled by the popularity of the pretty uninspiring gifts.

Ready to go, we all begin layering up; thermals, gloves, hats, scarves, fleeces, and big coats over the top of everything. I ended up wearing five pairs of socks as memories of previous LCM’s got the better of me.

We no doubt looked ridiculous as our motley crew headed out dressed for the Arctic. It’s amazing how cold it gets when you’re just standing around rather than moving from stall to stall, or shop to shop. Don’t join an OAM team if you’re at all concerned about your appearance as these things go straight out of the window.

Facing the annoyance of the railway crossing, where despite the option to cross the footbridge, most people wait for anything up to twenty minutes for multiple trains to pass. There was also some buzz about a steam train which never seemed to materialise. Everyone was craning their necks to get a look at the elusive machine, but after a lengthy wait, the barriers opened without the anticipated sighting which made some people very angry!

Then, a Romanian woman, kneeling in the cold street with a sign, “I’m hungry” and a small cup. We tried to talk to her, but her English was poor. She said she had a house. I gave her a sausage roll then wondered afterwards if she was Muslim and would be unable to eat it. Several other people stopped and tried to help; one man told her to get up as he was distressed that she was kneeling on the floor. He then put £20 in her pot and, a few seconds later, someone else put £10 in. She was there the whole time we were in Lincoln, even kneeling in the rain, and we had to keep passing her to get to and from the church. There was nothing we could do not being local but knowing that people were being generous helped us to continue to our destination. Cynically, she may have been a professional beggar, but it’s better to give people the benefit of the doubt.

There was an NHS kiosk and a busker where we usually set up in the main street, so we moved further along. The guys set up the open-air board and one of them began preaching. The large book table was set up nearby.

After a while, one of the team suggested I might need to rescue my friend who was being preached at. I turned around to see a lively debate taking place. I sidled over to discreetly listen. A little lady was excitably quoting from her phone containing a version of the Bible. My friend was listening politely having identified that this lady was a Jehovah’s Witness. She told the lady that her version of the Bible was different, but the lady wasn’t listening. Seeing that the conversation wasn’t progressing, I joined them and after a bit of back and forth, I informed her that she was deceived and was misleading people. At this point, she left. It’s good to try and talk to JW’s as we have seen some converted, but if they are not open to hearing the truth, they can waste our time.

I didn’t need to rescue my friend again as she knows her stuff, although I did keep an eye on a conversation she ended up in with a young man who, after a few minutes, was gazing at her and hanging on her every word. Usually, we try to start conversations with people of the same gender but, if you are giving out leaflets, you can’t refuse to talk to someone if they start talking to you, so it can be unavoidable. Introducing them to a guy on the team usually does the trick if it becomes awkward! 

There were some really good discussions taking place. Our team leader chatted with a man who said he had lost everyone during Covid 19 and that a Christian had previously tried to talk to him. He felt he had squandered his opportunity to hear by ignoring that preacher and was now determined to listen. He said he would go home and read the Gospel of John straight away.

 I spoke to a lady and her mother. The mother was a spiritualist. The younger lady became more and more interested as the Gospel was explained. She then said, “Oh, I think I need to get a Bible.” I was able to give her part of the Bible and literature to read. Another girl from Laos said that she had heard bits of the Christian message from friends but didn’t really understand. She too was given literature and seemed keen to read it after I had explained the Gospel. Also, a couple who said they were new to the area but seemed interested in attending the church were given details and encouraged to do so.

There were also those who stopped and half-heartedly engaged but weren’t really interested. A small group with one girl who said she came from a pagan background and wasn’t religious. Nevertheless, they listened to a Gospel explanation but remained entrenched in their apathy towards Jesus.

During this period, we had lunch back at the church where we were teased for buying hot snacks from Greggs, rather than relying on the sandwiches.

After lunch, another couple, the guy saying that he often heard a street preacher in Grimsby and considered himself a Christian. I asked what he thought the main message of Christianity was based on what he had heard. “To be a good person,” he said thoughtfully. I explained why this wasn’t right and wondered who he had been listening to.

It was pointed out later, in our team chat, that it may have been that he was hearing what he wanted to hear rather than the street preacher having said the wrong thing. Spiritual blindness is a strange entity. I’ve explained the Gospel to someone multiple times before, emphasising that it’s not through good works that we are saved, only for the person to say that they are going to try their best at the end of the discussion.

 Then, a heckler. The preacher had just quoted John 3 vs 16 when a passing man stopped in his tracks. He said “What if I don’t want eternal life? I’m not enjoying my life now; I’d rather be dead.” To his credit, the preacher recognised this as a genuine heart cry and with compassion explained the alternatives of Heaven and Hell as a final destination. The man engaged for quite a while before refusing literature and further conversation, but he had been offered hope in his dark situation.

We packed up at around 4pm and headed back to the church for dinner and another team time where we shared the various contacts we had had and prayed for them.

Then, the heat pads I had brought suddenly became very popular as we headed back out for the evening stint. They were shared around, especially amongst the older folks, and provided some welcome relief from the cold.

Setting up in the same place as earlier in the day, we observed a number of drunk people around. One woman, carrying a bottle of wine, came and stood directly in front of the board and began interrupting the preacher with questions. I attempted to move her into a one-to-one conversation, but her partner was also there, and then another man, seemingly high on something and unaware that his trousers were falling down, randomly appeared and standing next to the preacher kept interrupting him as well. I managed to signal to a few of the guys that I would talk to the lady if they could keep the two men at bay.

The lady began telling me terrible details about her tragic life. When we moved on to the Gospel, she suddenly said really loudly to her partner who was standing a fair distance away, “Here, this woman says that I’m not a Christian because I’ve been christened, she keeps saying that a Christian is someone who has been forgiven of their sin through Jesus or something. That’s not right though, is it?” I felt a little embarrassed as everyone turned to look at me as this lady indignantly accused me of offending her.

We continued talking after she calmed down. She kept saying, “I really want to hear this,” but then only listening to parts of what I said because she was drunk. She did tell the other guy to go away though when he tried to join the conversation. In the end, I gave her a Gospel of John and a leaflet and told her to read them the next day when she was sober. She knew what I meant and gave me a hug as she went back to her partner.

Later, one of the team that had been talking to her partner said that when she came over to them, she said that it was the first time anyone had told her that she wasn’t a Christian just because she had been christened. So, at least that was something!

During this exchange, a large group of youths had gathered around the board as well as some other people. There was a discussion taking place and many took leaflets to read. My friend had a profitable chat with three girls, a Muslim, an atheist and someone from a religious background. They all took Gospels away.

9pm couldn’t come quickly enough by this point at it was very very cold. We headed back to the church for a quick meeting before departing to our beds.

 Day two, a little colder and there was some rain about.

Almost immediately, after we had set up, a girl hesitated as she walked past the preacher. I asked her what she thought of what was being said and she swore in her response. I asked her why she felt like this and she told me that she had been hurt by the church. She had been very hostile initially, but I encouraged her to remember that the church is not God, and that it is made up of sinners. She seemed to soften. She didn’t like the idea that babies were born sinful, but I pointed out that she wasn’t a baby, and it was more important to focus on her own standing before God. She didn’t say much more, but at the end of the conversation when I gave her a Gospel of John, she offered me her hand to shake and then gave me a hug!

Later, after lunch, where both myself and my friend had been ushered into what can only be described as a professional recording studio, to be interviewed on camera about our OAM experience, I was interviewed again by one of the men in the open air. This time, for details of my conversion. I saw some ladies listening at the back of the group as I was asked an interesting question. The team leader highlighted that I had travelled a lot and lived in various cultures with other religions. In light of this, he asked why I had chosen Christianity. I said that it was the only faith that offered me an eternal home in Heaven. Of course, afterwards, I realised that the main reason is because I believe it is the truth, but sometimes when we are on the spot we focus on another aspect.

After this, a small group of children were told to listen to my story, about dealing with addiction, by our team leader. We spoke to them afterwards, but they were joined by some friends who were a bit disruptive. They all ended up taking Gospels of John away in any event and promising not to just throw them away.

We then had a mini carol service with people from the churches we were connected to. I hadn’t been looking forward to this as I had memories of half-hearted and out of tune singing with about ten people in the rain. However, this time there were around thirty people from the churches, who could sing, the rain was only light, and many people joined in. I even heard part-singing from one direction, a definite first for the OAM team!

I spoke to two ladies who had been singing with us afterwards. They handed me the carol sheet and thanked us for having the service. The one lady was saying how great it was that we were out singing in the street at Christmas.

It’s always an awkward moment as they’ve enjoyed the entertainment, but I know that somehow, I have to turn the conversation to the Gospel. I asked them if they were Christians. The lead lady said, “Yes, I’m a Catholic.” She started speaking about God and love and how all God wants is for us to be happy. I gently challenged this which led to a Gospel discussion. The lady seemed to be born again but was lacking assurance in her salvation. I pointed her to various promises in the Bible to encourage her. She kept saying that she wasn’t worthy of Heaven. I responded that none of us are, but that Jesus is and that is why He died for us. She finally said that she didn’t want to be in Heaven if her loved ones who had gone before were in Hell. She was focusing on trying to move them out of Purgatory. I explained that Purgatory doesn’t exist, and we talked through the story of the Rich Man and Lazarus. Her friend listened quietly to our friendly discussion which was becoming quite passionate as I really wanted this lady to have assurance. She took a copy of The Unique Jesus, and I gave her friend a Gospel of John. The first lady gave me a big hug (my third of the two days!) and the second one shook my hand and thanked me for speaking to them.

Heading back to the church for the final time, we chatted about the mission. My friend had really enjoyed it, “Phew”. There’s always a fear that someone who is keen will be put off and never want to be involved in open-air work again. I remembered that after my first OAM team, I went home re-energised and wanting to do more evangelism, but you never know how someone else will react.

Discussing homeward journeys over dinner, someone mentioned a train strike and I realised that the only way to ensure our oldest team member got home in one piece was if I took him and all his luggage in my small car. Fortunately, another team member, with slightly more muscle for carrying bags, who was also concerned about the strike, opted to come with us. We therefore squashed four lots of luggage in my car before heading for the North.

Having dropped the two guys off in Leeds and Manchester, myself and my friend were sleepily chatting about the mission as we made our way back to Rochdale.

Suddenly, an unfamiliar ring tone from the backseat. Our Liverpudlian friend had left his phone, presumably with his train ticket on it in my car. Praying that he wouldn’t end up bedded down at Manchester Piccadilly, I decided it was tomorrow’s problem as each day has enough trouble of its own.

I told my friend that having endured the cold at the OAM Lincoln team event, she should now be ready for anything. The conversations I've mentioned here are mostly ones that I personally had but all of the team had opportunities. The Gospel was shared with many lost souls. 

Why don't you join an OAM team event in 2023 and reach out with the saving message of hope in Jesus?




No comments:

Post a Comment